Last week, I discussed the risks in moving by yourself or doing it on your own. This week, I’m going to provide you tips on how to research moving companies and finding the best moving company when you have decided not to DIY. Note, when looking for moving companies, they don’t have to be in your area to move your household goods. I’m located here in Seattle but I move people’s goods to all over the world by utilizing the best moving professionals out there.
There are many reputable moving companies throughout the U.S., most are solid and do a good job. However, some movers are in business that shouldn’t be in business and are incompetent.
Here are some key tips to keep in mind when researching and considering hiring a professional moving company and avoiding a sour lemon organization:
• Confirm licenses – Professional movers are required to have licenses. Companies need intrastate and interstate moving licensing. If you are moving overseas, make sure they have an international moving license. You can go to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and look up to make sure they are certified and insured.
• Bonded and insured for damage – Make sure your moving company is covered by both. If the company is reliable, they will automatically provide you with basic liability protection. But the insurance coverage is limited. A great company will offer full value protection for all of your household goods so if any items are damaged or missing during transit, you will receive 100 percent of the value back.
• Moving associations – Most reliable moving companies belong to a moving association or other type of organization. Why? Because membership provides credibility along with the quality of standards rules the association requires of each company in their membership. If a company holds an accreditation from a reputable association, it’s a guarantee of reliability and professionalism.
• Business rating online – Positive ratings and awards are a great sign to demonstrate it’s an awesome company to hire. Here at Rainier, we pride ourselves with excellent testimonials year end and year out. Check with the BBB to make sure it’s a solid organization.
• Online company profile – The Internet has made it easy now to research into a company’s profile to find out how reliable they are. Read customer reviews (we have a page dedicated to Rainier reviews) and visit websites to look for evidence of trustworthiness and competence or lack thereof.
By doing your research and homework before hiring a moving company, it will go a long way to ensure you hire a solid moving company.