To insure your move is successful and on time, I am going to provide you some tips about what movers want you to do and know prior to moving day. These tips are from many of the movers that I have dealt with over the years in the moving industry:
• Packaging – Your household goods need to be packed prior to moving day. This allows for an expedient packaging and moving process. I highly recommend having the movers do all the packaging for you. We are professionals and know how to pack to minimize any damages in transit.
• Valuables – This is something I receive questions about all the time. When you have valuables and or items that can’t be replaced, basically they are priceless, pack them and move them by you. Important documents, jewelry, heirlooms, medications etc., should not be packed in the boxes your movers are taking. You never want to risk it, take those items with you. As far as antique furniture and other big ticket items, make sure to purchase extra insurance to cover those important items.
• Labeling boxes – Please be sure to label your moving boxes. When you arrive at your destination, you will need to know where the boxes need to be located when unloaded by the movers.
• Be there – Make plans to be present during your moving day. Movers are professionals and know what they are doing and don’t want to be micromanaged. However, you should be there to oversee and make sure everything is moved out. In addition, be a good host and provide lunch and snacks for your movers to enjoy while they are doing all the heavy lifting.
• Unlawful items – Lat week, I provided a list of items movers can’t move because they are not legal to do so. Plus, many of the hazardous items can destroy your household goods during transit. Throw away or giveaway hazardous items that are not allowed to move.
Follow these tips prior to your move and you and your household belongings will be off on a safe and expedited journey.