Your moving overseas and as discussed last week, you have your taxes in order. But what do you do if you need to ship your car, motorcycle or another big-ticket item overseas. Depending upon where you are moving, you can have your far-wheeled friend shipped overseas by us through an international auto transport company.
That’s not too difficult but there are some other things you need to consider before your car or other two or four-wheeled is revved up to be shipped across the Atlantic or elsewhere. As always, do your research and find out about the country or city’s public transportation system. This really varies from country-to-country and you will be able to assess how much you will need to drive your car and what kind of driving conditions you can expect.
Here are some factors to keep-in-mind and to know about:
• Is your automobile street legal in your new city? Remember that Japan, Britain, Australia and other countries require you to drive on the right-side of the road.
• Make sure your professional mover knows about any import tariffs. Your mover lets you know about any of these potential fees so you are not surprised by any unexpected costs.
• Drivers licenses – Most countries will allow you to drive with your existing American driver’s license but only for a specified period of time.
• Research your new country’s driving regulations and laws before your international move so you know when you need to obtain a new license.
• Purchase insurance – When you move, things can happen so make sure you buy moving insurance for your car especially if it’s a new car. This will provide you peace-of-mind if something should go wrong during the transport.
Follow these tips and ensure you hire a reputable moving company so that your automobile or other type of vehicle is taken care of during your overseas move.