Earlier this week I provided you some questions you need to ask before hiring and deciding on a good overseas mover. This week is part 2 to continue with questions to ask a prospective international moving company so you know that your belongings will be trusted with a reputable organization.
Part 2 – Questions to be sure to ask:
• What and how about shipping my valuable items overseas? – Valuable and delicate items like jewelry, artwork, family heirlooms, electronics and other expensive items need to be pointed out to your assessor. If it’s a good company, they will recommend insurance, note the value of each item and pack it with care so your important items won’t break.
• How will my items be shipped? – You need to know if your belongings will be loaded in crates, if they will be shipped in separate containers or mixed with other people’s items, if they will be transported directly to your final destination and delivered to your door (door-to-door services), etc.
• When will my shipment arrive and any estimated time will it be in Customs? – Find out when to expect your shipment and whether you’ll have to be present for your goods to clear customs, as well as what paperwork you need to prepare.
• Is storage included in the price and storage options? – You may have to put your items into storage for a while until you find an appropriate new home in your new country for example, so you need to know your options and pricing.
• Who will handle my belongings in the destination country? – You need to know from your selected international moving company uses subcontractors who will pick your shipment at the port and deliver it to your new home. That way, you can do research to obtain as much information about them as possible, so that you make sure they are trustworthy and properly licensed professionals. You will need their contact information anyway when you meet them at your destination.
• Should I purchase insurance and what are my options? – – Moving your belongings overseas will put them at a great risk, so it is very important that you purchase more than adequate insurance coverage. Ask your international moving representative about the conditions and the extent of the liability coverage they provide and consider purchasing additional insurance too. He or she should be able to provide you with excellent insurance options.
Lastly, always ask for references and credentials. A reputable company will gladly provide you with this, testimonials and other credentials to demonstrate they are good at what they do. Ask these questions to an international moving company before you make that important decision to have your belongings shipped overseas.