Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / express release / air waybill (AWB)
- Customs passbook issued by the National Board of Revenue (NBR)
- Packing list / detailed inventory
- Baggage declaration form, completed upon arrival and signed by Customs
- Inspection order form (IOF) / inspection information form (IIF)
- Pro-forma invoice
- Transfer of residence certificate (returning Bangladeshi)
- Letter of employment (foreigners)
- Work permit (foreigners)
- Tax exemption certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
- Bangladeshi citizens and foreigners may import used household goods and personal effects into Bangladesh.
- Duty-free importation is allowed for embassy, high commission, United Nations, international donor agencies and their employees.
- Foreigners, NGO employees and foreign investors must pay duties and taxes for household goods and personal effects.
- Bangladeshi citizens can import personal and household goods at a tax benefit of up to 80% on the assessable value.
- Citizens must stay abroad with no re-entry for 2 years to qualify for the tax benefit.
- The first 2 years receive a 40% benefit and 10% each subsequent year.
- Citizens must obtain a certificate from the embassy / high commission stating the period abroad.
- Bangladeshi citizens, foreigners, NGO staff members and foreign investors must complete a baggage declaration form within 20 days of arrival.
- Diplomatic personnel may obtain permission to import items duty-free from the diplomatic organization.
- Privileged persons (diplomats, employees of a UN agency, some NGO employees, or employees of a foreign company having a contract with the Bangladesh government identifying them as such) must obtain a Customs passbook from the owner of the goods’ employer, who must apply for the passbook upon the owner of the goods’ arrival.
- The Customs passbook is required for the duty-free entry and takes approximately 25-30 days to obtain.
- The owner of the goods must be present for Customs clearance with the original passport and OBL / express release.
- It takes approximately 5 business days to clear full container load (FCL) shipments and approximately 3 business days for air shipments.
- It is advised that FCL shipments arrive in the Dhaka Dry Port (ICD is recommended for FCL shipments with port of entry (POE) at Chittagong).
- All less-than-container loads (LCL) are recommended through POE Chittagong.
- Purchase invoice
- Vehicles 3 years and older cannot be imported.
- Vehicles are subject to duties and storage charges.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Letter of no objection (letter of permission from the Bangladesh government)
- The veterinary health certificate must be issued within 7 days of import and must state that animal is free from rabies and other infectious diseases.
- Cats, dogs, birds and many other types of pets can be brought into Bangladesh without a quarantine period.
- Contact agent for additional information.
- Firearms and ammunitions (permission is required from the Ministry of Home for dealers and the Ministry of Commerce for private citizens)
- Vehicle parts (contact agent for specific information)
- Agar and pectin (permission from the Director of the Drugs Administration is required)
- Meat and bone meal
- Radioactivity-test reports from the origin country and a certificate stating the products are fit for consumption from fish, poultry or other animals is required.
- The radioactivity-test report must clearly indicate the level of CS-137 found in each kg of each item.
- The following items may be imported duty free within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), tobacco (225 g)
- Alcohol (2 bottles)
- Firearms and ammunition
- Pornographic materials
- Polypropylene bags
- Gambling instruments
- Maps and charts (contact agent for specific information)
- Poppy seeds and opium
- Frogs and frog parts
- Food grains
- Subversive literature
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.