Moving to Cape Verde

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required 

  • Original bill of lading (OBL)  (2 copies) / no express release accepted / air waybill (AWB)
  • Packing list
  • Copy of passport
  • Copy of entry permit in passport
  • Copy of residence permit
  • Diplomatic exemption from the Cape Verdean Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) (expatriates and foreign diplomats)

Specific Information

  • Personal effects may be imported duty free if occurring with 6 months of the owner of the goods’ initial arrival in Cape Verde and all documentation is available (returning citizens)
  • Personal effects may be imported duty free during residence in Cape Verde, provided documentation is available (foreign diplomats)

Motor Vehicles

Documents Required

  • All documentation required for household goods
  • OBL / AWB with brand, model, engine, and chassis numbers stated
  • Original certificate of origin (used vehicles)
  • Original purchase invoice (new vehicles)
  • Insurance documentation from origin country

Specific Information

  • Foreign diplomats, technicians, and coopérants may import a personally owned vehicle (POV) duty free.
  • Duties and taxes will apply for others, percentage varies according to the vehicle; check with agent for details.


Documents Required

  • Veterinarian health certificate
  • Rabies vaccination certificate (dogs)

Specific Information

  • Dogs also require an additional rabies vaccination certificate.

Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Alcohol and tobacco (permitted in reasonable quantities and for personal use only)

Prohibited Items

  • Narcotics and drugs
  • Weapons and explosives

Consignment Instructions

Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.

Cultural and Other Information