Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original passport with entry stamp
- Packing list in English
- Detailed valued inventory in English, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Tax identification number (TIN)
- Invoice for all new items
- Letter of employment / copy of contract
- Original bill of lading (OBL), Express release and telex release – 2 copies
- Work permit
- Original residence permit
- PRO6 for diplomats
- Exemption letter (diplomats)
- For all first arrivals by air, owner of the goods’ original passport with entry stamp and a letter of employment are required.
- Diplomatic imported shipments are exempted from physical customs examination
- Port wharfage is 1.6%
- Returing residents should have a Residence Permit from abroad
- Non-exemption qualified cosignees duties are 25% import duty, 18% vat and other taxes are 10%
- Grace period is 7 days
- Original passport
- Certificate of incorporation / registration for a company / organization
- Original log book / registration certificate or cancellation
- De-registration certificate for used cars / boats / motorcycles
- Original invoice for new cars / boats / motorcycles
- Road worthiness certificate from the origin country
- Original bill of lading / telex release / air waybill
- Interpol report confirming ownership needed for importation within Southern African countries only, not the whole of Africa
- Pre-inspection is for Japan and Dubai only where there is TBS authorized dealers, the rest of the countries, inspection will be done in the country for US $250-400
- Car older than 8 years and qualified for exemption will be charged dumping fees for 30% of the CIF value, there is no exemption for more than 3000cc cars.
- Exemption letter and allocation of number plates (diplomats)
- Returning Ugandans and non-diplomats can import one vehicle, which must be owned more than 12 months to qualify for exemption from duties and taxes.
- Require a pre-shipment inspection COC certificate preferably from a company contracted by the Uganda National Bureau of Standards e.g. SGS, Intertek, JEVIC, EAAR, etc.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Pet passport
- Import permit issued by Ministry of Agriculture in Entebbe, Uganda
- Electronic identification (e.g., microchip) is highly recommended.
- Veterinary health certificate must be issued by a licensed veterinarian within 15 days of import.
- Documents must accompany animal.
- The pet passport must show proof against rabies and other disease and is free of disease communicable to humans; the rabies vaccination must be done at least 30 days prior to import.
- Certain breeds of dogs are prohibited from entry; contact agent for details.
- The following items may qualify for free import within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, tobacco not exceeding 250 grams in weight
- Spirits including liquor not exceeding 1L and wine not exceeding 2L
- Perfume and toilet water not exceeding 500mL, in which no more than 250 mL can be perfume
- Hunting weapons (authorization from the Ministry of Interior is required)
- Endangered species and products made from them (permission from CITES required)
- Tax will be paid on goods in excess of allowed quantity
- New items
- To qualify for duty free allowance a passenger must be 18 years of age or older
- Items over the allowed quantity attract tax of their intended use (home use included)
- Cultural artifacts and objects of cultural importance
- Explosive materials
- Some wildlife species
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.