Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport showing entry permit
- Packing list in French or English
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / express release accepted / air waybill (AWB)
- Original detailed inventory in French dated, valued, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Letter of employment
- Certificate of change of residence from the City Hall (or embassy), which certifies that the owner of the goods is a current resident and is departing the country
- Diplomatic franchise (diplomats)
- All containers arriving at TOE Bamako are scanned.
- Documents must be received by agent at least 15 days before the arrival of the shipment to minimize any port charges.
- It takes approximately 20–40 days to obtain the free-entry certificate.
- Express releases are acceptable but result in additional fees of EUR 100.00.
- A certificate for free entry must be obtained from the Customs head office; shipments are then duty free.
- The tax on new household items for all shipments is 45% on the declared value (excludes diplomats).
- The “Redevance Statistique” is 2.5% of the valued inventory for non-Malian citizens and 3.5% for returning citizens (excludes diplomats).
- The Fonds de Garantie Routier is 1% tax of the valued inventory for all shipments transported by road fromAbidjan,Ivory Coast toBamako,Mali.
- The diplomatic organization will apply for a diplomatic exemption document to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on behalf of the owner of the goods; it takes approximately15 days to obtain the exemption, to begin clearance (diplomats).
- Documents must be received by agent at least 15 days prior to arrival of the shipment in free entry status from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats).
- Original registration card
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Non-sale certificate
- Purchase invoice / certificate of value
- The duty rates on motor vehicles is as follows:
- If the motor vehicle is new, tax is 44% of the Argus value + EUR 40.00 / year
- If the motor is 10 years or older, tax is 44% of the Argus value + 10 x 40 = EUR 400.00
- Diplomats are exempt from tax on motor vehicles.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate / sanitary certificate
- The veterinary health certificate / sanitary certificate must be issued from the country of origin within 3 days of import; it must specify that the animal has been free from any infectious disease or rabies for at least 6 weeks prior to import.
- Firearms and ammunition (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- New computers (tax is 65%) – excludes diplomats, embassies and persons with authorization from the Malian Customs head office.
- New electrical items
- Prescription medications (health certificate required)
- Weapons (certificate is required)
- Books, films and pictures (subject to censorship and confiscation if contrary to local customs)
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.