Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Passport with residence visa
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Packing list
- Detailed inventory
- Insurance certificate
- Duty free clearance certificate (if applicable)
- Import license (if applicable)
- Bank guarantee (if applicable)
- The owner of the goods should be present for Customs clearance in Sri Lanka.
- In absence of the owner of the goods, a registered (legalized) Power of Attorney must be submitted with a copy of the owner of the goods’ passport.
- All shipments are subject to Customs inspection.
- It is important that the cargo arrives after the owner of the goods has obtained a residence visa.
- Documents should be received by the destination agent at least 7 days prior to shipment arrival.
- Full-container-load and air shipments take approximately 3-4 business days for Customs clearance provided all documents are received by the destination agent in advance of shipment.
- All applicable fees must be made prior to clearance of the shipment.
- On the detailed inventory, all electrical items and furniture should be individually priced and the total value should not exceed USD $1000.00 per owner of the goods, according to the assess value by the Customs authority, the duty is payable if it exceeds the given amount.
- Only one electrical item of any kind is permitted.
- Refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, dishwashers, dehumidifiers, air conditioners, and home theaters are not considered household goods.
- Diplomats can only import duty-free if clearance certificate is produced.
- Certificate of title / registration
- Purchase receipt
- Appropriate application forms (contact the destination agent for correct form)
- Vehicle must be right-hand drive.
- There are many conditions under which a motor vehicle may be imported.
- It is essential that an owner of the goods contact the destination agent to verify the correct applicable form and required vehicle criteria for import.
IAM Note: Vehicles may be imported only under certain conditions. Contact the destination agent for specific information prior to import.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit
- Authorization from the Director General of the Department of Animal Production and Health (DAPH) must be obtained prior to the import of a live animal.
- Pets are subject to examination upon arrival.
- Pets accompanied by their owners are easier to clear than pets traveling via cargo; if a pet travels by cargo, a tax identification number (TIN) may be necessary.
- The import permit must be obtained at least 2 weeks prior to importation from the Director General, Department of Animal Production and Health and valid for 90 days from the date of issue.
- Dogs and cats are subject to a quarantine period of 30 days in the owner’s residence, identified on the Quarantine Surveillance Agreement.
- The owner of the goods’ full address and telephone number must be identified on the form.
- Satellites, remote control equipment, telephones and fax machines need special approval must be obtained prior to shipment arrival.
- An operation manual must accompany each item.
- Pornographic materials
- Anti-religious materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.